Notice of School Board Election for 2018
BOARD OF EDUCATION ELECTION
The election for members of the Jersey City Board of Education will be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
The deadline for filing to seek a seat on the nine member board is July 30, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
Nominating petitions are available from the Office of the County Clerk – Elections Division between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The County Clerk is located at 257 Cornelison Avenue, 4th Floor in Jersey City, NJ 07302. The contact number is 201-369-3470 extension 2767 or option 6.
There are three (3) seats available each for a term of three (3) years which will be voted upon.
Recently signed bill S-868 permits candidates for school board to circulate petitions jointly and be bracketed together on ballot and permits short nonpolitical designation of principles on petitions and ballots.
Candidates filing a nominating petition for board membership must meet the following qualifications:
- He/she is a citizen of the United States of America
- He/she must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to qualify for office
- He/she must be able to read and write
- He/she has been a resident of the municipality from which he/she is to be elected for at least one (1) year preceding the date of the election
- He/she is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A.19:4-1
- He/she is a registered voter in the district
- Not hold office as a mayor or member of the governing body of the same district
- He/she is not disqualified from membership on the Board due to conviction of a crime or offense listed in N.J.S.A. 18:12-1
- He/she has no interest in any contract with, or claim against, the Board
A candidate’s Kit is available from the New Jersey School Boards Association (NJSBA) at http://www.njsba.org/about/candidacy.
Notice on the annual advertisement of monthly School Board meetings
Please be advised that the Jersey City Board of Education advertised its annual meeting notice for the 2017-2018 School Year on June 28, 2017, in accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act, N.J.S.A. 10:4-8. The District will post the annual notice of the date and location of its monthly Board meetings on its website under the “Board Meetings” tab. The notice will also be posted in the schools. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT the District WILL NOT re-advertise the meetings on a monthly basis. Any additional or Special Meetings notices will be sent to noticed in printed publications (i.e. newspapers) and on the District website as required by law.