JERSEY CITY BOARD ELECTION NOTICE
BOARD OF EDUCATION ELECTION
The election for members of the Jersey City Board of Education will be held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
The deadline for filing to seek a seat on the nine-member board is July 27, 2020, at 4:00 p.m.
Petitions are available on the county clerk’s website at www.hudsoncountyclerk.org, if candidates wish to receive a hard copy of the petition, they must call the County Clerk Office for an appointment.
Completed nominating petitions must be submitted in person or electronically by either facsimile or email and must be received by 4:00 pm on July 27, 2020. Individuals submitting petitions in person must make an appointment by calling the Elections Division at 201-369-3470 Option #6. Anyone in need of a hard copy of the petition, an appointment is required for pick up.
The County Clerk – Elections Division is open between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and is located at 257 Cornelison Ave., 4th Floor, Jersey City, NJ 07302. The contact number is 201-369-3470 extension 2767 or option 6.
There are three (3) seats available for three (3) year terms which will be voted upon.
Under Bill S-868 permits candidates for the school board to circulate petitions jointly and be bracketed together on ballot and permits short nonpolitical designation of principles on petitions and ballots.
Candidates filing a nominating petition for board membership must meet the following qualifications:
- He/she is a citizen of the United States of America
- He/she must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to qualify for office
- He/she must be able to read and write
- He/she has been a resident of the municipality from which he/she is to be elected for at least one (1) year preceding the date of the election
- He/she is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A.19:4-1
- He/she is a registered voter in the district
- Not hold office as a mayor or member of the governing body of the same district
- He/she is not disqualified from membership on the Board due to conviction of a crime or offense listed in N.J.S.A. 18:12-1
- He/she has no interest in any contract with, or claim against the Board
For more information from the New Jersey School Board Association (NJSBA) on how to become a school board member, ethics information, criminal background requirements and campaign report requirements, visit the NJSBA website at: