JERSEY CITY BOARD ELECTION NOTICE
BOARD OF EDUCATION ELECTION
Nominating petitions are available from the Office of the Hudson County Clerk – Elections Division between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The County Clerk is located at 257 Cornelison Avenue, 4th Floor in Jersey City, NJ 07302. The contact number is 201-369-3470 extension 2767 or option 6.
Petitions are also available at the county clerk’s website at www.hudsoncountyclerk.org.
Completed nominating petitions must be submitted in person and must be received by 4:00 pm on Monday, July 25, 2022.
The election for members of the Jersey City Board of Education will be held on Tuesday, November 8, 2022.
There are three (3) seats available each for a term of three (3) years which will be voted upon.
Pursuant to Bill S868, signed by Governor Murphy, board of education candidates are allowed to circulate a nominating petition jointly and to be bracketed together on the ballot (sample individual and group nominating petitions are available online in the NJSBA Candidate Kit).
Candidates filing a nominating petition for board membership must meet the following qualifications:
- He/she is a citizen of the United States of America
- He/she must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to qualify for office
- He/she must be able to read and write
- He/she has been a resident of the municipality from which he/she is to be elected for at least one (1) year preceding the date of the election
- He/she is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A.19:4-1
- He/she is a registered voter in the district
- Not hold office as a mayor or member of the governing body of the same district
- He/she is not disqualified from membership on the Board due to conviction of a crime or offense listed in N.J.S.A. 18:12-1
- He/she has no interest in any contract with, or claim against the Board
A candidate’s Kit is available from the New Jersey School Boards Association (NJSBA) at https://www.njsba.org/about/membership/membership-school-board-members/school-board-candidacy/