Director Dr. Ruth Cummings-Hypolite
The Department of Early Childhood is committed to providing the 3- and 4-year old children, who are Jersey City residents, with developmentally appropriate preschool experiences.
Our mission is to:
- Provide a learning environment that will help children develop intellectually, socially, physically, and emotionally in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Include education on health, nutrition, and social and emotional well being into a daily program of varied activities.
- Enhance children’s feelings of self-worth and appreciation of their own and other’s ethnicity, cultures, and languages.
- Develop social competence by providing opportunities for children to make decisions and solve problems during their school day.
- Ease the transition of children into primary grades by providing appropriate early childhood experiences.
We contract with childcare centers throughout Jersey City to provide classes for most of our three-year-olds, and the majority of our four-year-olds attend classes in the Jersey City Board of Education schools. All classes are small—no more than 15 children—and are staffed with certified Early Childhood professionals and paraprofessionals. We do provide breakfast and lunch for our Preschool students.
If you have questions about our Early Childhood Preschool program, contact our office by phoning us at 201-915-6045.
We use the High Scope Curriculum which is a research-based, educational approach that emphasizes "active participatory learning." Active learnings mean students have direct hands-on experiences with people, objects, events, and ideas. Learn about your preschooler's day through this video that offers a glimpse into our Pre-K classrooms.
Click here for Pre-Kindergarten Registration Information
The Importance of Attendance
Please take the time to watch this important video that addresses the link between
attendance and current and future academic success.